From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Network configuration and bash
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 00:34:11
1 On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 19:09:26 +0000
2 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > The stuff that handles our networking maybe written in A.N.
5 > Other-Language (Mrs.), but keeping /etc/conf.d/net readable by a shell
6 > script does have advantages.
7
8 You need to define what shell (or subset) you want to parse it. 'sh'
9 itself varies from platform to platform. The one we have is a softlink
10 to bash so doesn't make any difference for Gentoo Linux except for
11 limiting what can be written. I just tried variable redirection for
12 example (which can be used to implement pseudo-arrays without using
13 eval) - I was surprised it works in sh here - dunno if it works in BSD
14 sh (doesn't on busybox). What you have on FreeBSD may be different from
15 what's on Solaris.
16
17 Perhaps busybox sh might be a practical set to choose, for basic posix
18 compliance.
21 You could simply do something like:
22
23 ifconfig_eth0="\
24 10.1.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0;\
25 10.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0"
26
27 which means standard shell interpretation doesn't lose information, even
28 if it's actually normally parsed by something else (chose ';' as a
29 separator since ':' is used in ipv6 strings).
32 It seems to me that the problem you're trying to solve, is the
33 implementation of baselayout on restricted systems. Reducing all
34 init.d/conf.d and so on to a common denominator for everyone isn't
35 necessarily the best way forward. A different approach could be to
36 provide more than one baselayout; one for large systems, where
37 expecting to have bash available isn't such a big deal, and one for
38 limited systems, restricted to busybox-standard sh. Actually I kinda
39 assumed that's what baselayout-lite was all about...
42 Kevin F. Quinn