From: Chris Bainbridge <c.j.bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Redux: 2004.1 will not include a secure portage.
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:50:47
1 On Thursday 25 March 2004 17:08, Koon wrote:
2 >
3 > We are not trying to discuss ways of having the most secure Linux
4 > distribution out there, review all sources, treat the rogue developer
5 > problem ; we are trying to have a secure distribution mecanism which
6 > does not depend on outside factors. For the moment we don't have that.
7 > Once this is done, it will always be time to discuss better mecanisms to
8 > ensure better security. You will probably find in the end that the
9 > increased-security/work-overhead tradeoff to solve the rogue dev case is
10 > not acceptable.
11 >
12 > So for for me the only objective is :
13 >
14 > * protect against compromised rsync server
15
16 Why? There are more gentoo developers than rsync servers. Their machines do
17 more than rsync servers. What reason is there to believe that a compromise of
18 an rsync server is more likely than compromise of a developer machine?
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list