From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: foser <foser@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC - apache start page.
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 13:12:07
1 On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 08:47, foser wrote:
2 > Actually it is. This is a perfect example of such a stupid flag that
3 > 99.9% of the people don't care about. Branding in Gentoo is not
4 > intrusive and minimal, especially in comparison to most other larger
5 > distros.
6 >
7 > And most interesting part -brought up in earlier discussions about this
8 > same triviality- is that no-one ever complained about the branding of
9 > grub which has been there for an eternity. Or what about the cursor pack
10 > coming with X (they're not on by default, but do take up space). Noone
11 > cared. Hell if zul had just added this to apache without notification I
12 > doubt it would've ever been discussed.
13 >
14 > Yeah we want to choice ad infinitum. I rather rip the 'branding' out
15 > than adding a USE flag for such a non-issue.
16
17 I tend to agree. It isn't like we're removing choice. It really is
18 quite simple to edit a line or two and change the theme for gdm or to
19 change the splash in gnome. I simply don't get it. I find branding
20 rather nice, since there has been a large amount of work done on some of
21 the Gentoo artwork out there. In fact, I would like to see more of
22 it... not to the point of being annoying or intrusive, but a couple
23 little logos in a few more places.
24
25 You guys act like we're taking away your right to "rm" the artwork. It
26 seems that things are starting to get to a point with Gentoo to where no
27 matter what us devs do, you have somebody out there who is going to
28 ridicule our every move. Quite honestly, we don't *want* those people.
29 We want people who are really out to help others, that is why we choose
30 to employ some sanity in what we allow in portage. If we listened to
31 everything that everyone said, we would have portage written in
32 python/perl/C/C++/java and it would have a
33 mysql/postgres/firebird/berkdb back-end, there would be 100,000 USE
34 flags, all with conflicting uses on different packages, there would be
35 thousands of broken ebuilds submitted by users and having no maintainers
36 to speak of, there would be hundreds of -cvs ebuilds, which would break
37 at any given moment when the upstream developers commited something to
38 their CVS tree, and there would be no management to keep things in line.
39
40 Yeah, that's the Gentoo "of the users" that I want to be a part of...
41 :rolleyes:
42
43 Normally, I leave this stuff alone, but it is just getting really old to
44 hear the same busted arguments over and over and over again, and I
45 haven't even been with Gentoo as a developer for a year.
46
47 I can understand the frustrations that users sometimes get due to the
48 appearance of lack of movement of the Gentoo development team, but I
49 honestly think that most people simply don't realize just how much work
50 can go into development. Not to mention the fact that every last one of
51 us do this as volunteers. This is not our job. We do not get paid.
54 Chris Gianelloni
55 Developer
56 Games/LiveCD Teams
57 Gentoo Linux