From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] New keywords for non-Gentoo Linux platforms
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 05:27:56
1 Jeremy Olexa wrote:
2
3 > Fabian Groffen wrote:
4 > <snip>
5 >> Most notably, in Prefix all keywords are full GLEP53 style, which
6 >> results in e.g. amd64-linux. We did this on purpose, because in Prefix
7 >> we don't necessarily are on Gentoo Linux. We also chose to expand fbsd,
8 >> nbsd and obsd to their long variants, mainly because the short variants
9 >> might clash in the future, for e.g. OpenBSD, OliveBSD or PicoBSD,
10 >> polyBSD or DragonflyBSD, DesktopBSD. (At some point we were a bit
11 >> over-enthausiastic.)
12 >>
13 >> I would like to hear some opinions on the keywords in general, as well
14 >> as the particular problem of having Gentoo Linux, and a Linux supported
15 >> by Gentoo Prefix.
16
17 Would it not be simpler just to say the keyword can be from 1 to 4
18 hypen-separated parts, 1 as-is (in both GLEPS) 2 as GLEP 53, 3 with libc
19 change, and 4 with non-default userland as per GLEP22 (perhaps change the
20 order to be more intuitive, if you think it would be better)?
21
22 >> Right now there is just the difference of "-linux"
23 >> appended, however this is not the clearest distinction between the two.
24 >> Perhaps using KEYWORDS for Prefix keywords is not the best thing to do,
25 >> and should we use something like PREFIX_KEYWORDS?
26 >
27 > Ignoring the bit about how to name the keywords.. ;)
28 >
29 > I am undecided about Prefix keywords in the normal KEYWORDS variable. In
30 > particular, we are overloading the -linux keyword to mean that it will
31 > run on any linux that Gentoo Prefix supports. This includes, Gentoo,
32 > RHEL, SLES, FreeMint, $OTHER.
33 >
34 > Is there any problem with "overloading" the keywords like that? If not,
35 > then it shouldn't be a problem to keep prefix keywords in the KEYWORDS
36 > field. OTOH, I don't think we should add another variable to ebuilds.
37 >
38 > Thoughts?
39 >
40 Wrt to the variable thing, I agree the specification of prefix is orthogonal
41 to the spec of an EAPI. Orthogonality [at least in sw terms] doesn't just
42 mean "nothing to do with it whatsoever," or it wouldn't apply to the
43 software in question.
44
45 Unless someone can say what using PROPERTIES=prefix would break, I'd go with
46 that. It's a /classic/ usage of that variable, as it's simply a boolean;
47 PROPERTIES is well-defined and I'm hoping all the manglers support it. It'd
48 be great to see the prefix branch finally merged so we all get to play with
49 it.