From: Max Kalika <max@g.o>
To: stuart@g.o, Max Kalika <max@g.o>, Troy Dack <tad@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Web Application Installation
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 04:29:22
1 I don't know if I'm being overly abrasive -- the weather is really hot, and
2 I think I ate something that didn't agree with me. Please don't take
3 offense at anything I say. :-)
4
5 Quoting Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>:
6
7 > On Sunday 03 August 2003 8:03 pm, Max Kalika wrote:
8
9 > True. But most webapps will rely on the webserver to handle the virtual
10 > hosting side of things - and that's something we *can* support through
11 > user-space tools.
12
13 Eh? Elaborate please.
14
15 >> Going back to the postfix example, although the
16 >> package has support for delivering mail to LMTP through a content filter
17 >> that will scan for spam and viruses, it doesn't do it out of the box and
18 >> takes a bit of tinkering to get right. I'm of the opinion that if
19 >> someone wants to set up an ISP, they better know what they're doing and
20 >> will be able to figure out how to virtualize the necessary packages they
21 >> want to offer to their clients.
22 >
23 > Problem with that is that it prevents 'emerge -u world' from being
24 > something that you can safely put in cron.
25
26 How is that? Aside from the fact that no sysadmin who values his/her job
27 would do this on a production system, I don't see why this would be a
28 problem/impediment?
29
30 >> Ok. If there's a lot of language-specific work that needs to be done,
31 >> then breaking it up into separate eclasses makes sense, otherwise, I'm
32 >> worried about clutter. :)
33 >
34 > Yeah, clutter is a problem - but so is ten ebuilds each with their own
35 > way of achieving the same piece of testing.
36
37 Correct, which is what eclasses are for.
38
39 > And on that note ... (drum roll please) ... take a look at the new
40 > webapp-apache.eclass file that I've just committed to CVS. All it does
41 > (for now) is provide a standardised way of determine where HTDOCSDIR is,
42 > and which Apache version to install support for.
43
44 Ugh! Won't this get in the way when we actually try to implement this GLEP
45 (most of which is already done by my eclass). The way you did it has
46 already been tried and shot down:
47
48 <http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/eclass/Attic/apache.eclass?hidea
49 ttic=0>
50
51 > I admit it's a stop-gap solution; it's not enough on its own to make
52 > ebuilds webserver-neutral. But at least we can move all the
53 > apache-specific crud into the one place, as a starter for ten.
54
55 Double Ugh! See these please:
56
57 <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-dev&w=2&r=1&s=apache.eclass&q=b>
58
59 > Yeah, okay, I'm jumping ahead of the GLEP being approved perhaps, but I
60 > needed this to close two outstanding bugs this afternoon, so that's my
61 > justification <grin>. Not exactly like I've gone and moved stuff into
62 > the proposed 'web-???' categories yet ;-)
63
64 See, this GLEP was more about where/how to install these ebuilds and not
65 about their place in the tree. I held off including at least 10 ebuilds
66 waiting for the outcome of this discussion, but now you jumped the gun.
67 Hopefully the transition can be painless.
68
69 >> Fair enough. So something like "webapp-config <application>
70 >> <webserver>" ?
71 >
72 > I think so, yeah. Robin's the best person to talk about this, as he had
73 > very firm ideas about what he wanted to implement.
74
75 Will wait for Robin's response.
76
77 > Exactly ;-) This is the problem that I think we should be solving.
78
79 Well, perhaps a question in the original GLEP should be readdressed. I'm
80 beginning to strongly agree with:
81
82 # 1. Default Web Server
83 # ---------------------
84
85 # A common default web server will have to be selected and ebuild authors
86 # should ensure that their applications contain configuration directives
87 # suitable for that server. Given the popularity of the Apache web server
88 # it is suggested that Apache be selected as the Gentoo default web server.
89
90 # Whilst it is acknowledged that other web servers do exist and are used,
91 # there has to be an assumption made somewhere that people who choose to
92 use
93 # something other than a default have enough knowledge to adapt
94 # configurations accordingly.
95
96 Flexibility is one thing, maintainability with a limited developer time is
97 quite another. The balance between the two is critical.
98
99 > Anyway, take a look at the eclass, and let's talk about what else needs
100 > adding to it - and let's get it added.
101
102 I did. It looks like a trimmed version of the original proposed by Ned
103 Ludd.
104
105 > A word of warning - although the eclass is called 'webapp-apache', it's
106 > designed to *hide* apache-specificness as much as possible behind its
107 > interface. If you add anything to the eclass, I'd appreciate it if you
108 > followed this design idea ;-)
109
110 But you completely ignored all my work and the GLEP which we're discussing.
111 My eclass follows your proposed philosophy, but you basically threw it out
112 the window. I'm confused.
113
114 > Robin (if you're following this!) I think you could make mod_php inherit
115 > this class safely too, to reduce duplication still further.
116
117 How is mod_php related to the way applications are installed?
118
119 --mk
123 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list