From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:29:29
1 On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 9:39 AM, Sergey Popov <pinkbyte@g.o> wrote:
2 > 11.08.2015 16:30, Michael Palimaka пишет:
3 >>
4 >> Don't forget that as a project with no special authority, Qt's policy
5 >> remains a suggestion for the vast majority of maintainers. If someone
6 >> wishes to provide support for only one Qt version or abuse their users
7 >> with REQUIRED_USE they are still free to do so.
10 > Not enforcing policies on main tree is a bad thing. If you make policy,
11 > make other maintainers follow it. I am not against consistent policy
12 > that ease life BOTH for developers and users.
13
14 ++
15
16 I think the qt team taking the lead on this makes sense, but this is
17 the sort of thing that just makes sense as a treewide policy. If
18 people don't like their suggested policy they can take it to
19 QA/council/whatever, but it makes more sense to have projects setting
20 standards than having everybody doing their own thing.
21
22 I realize this is frustrating and contentious, but I think we're
23 better off hashing this out, and implementing something reasonable,
24 than having a bazillion different conventions that users have to deal
25 with. Usually I prefer maintainer autonomy, but this is just one of
26 those times it doesn't make sense.
29 Rich