From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, Gentoo Python Project <python@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Reverted python3.4 defaults
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 04:03:33
1 On 20 July 2015 at 02:31, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 20 July 2015 at 00:03, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> If there are no objections, I would like to enable python3.4 by
5 >>> default on Saturday, July 25. That means making the following change:
6 >>>
7 >>> profiles/base/make.defaults:
8 >>> PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4"
9 >>
10 >> I would like to note that we only have around 50 packages that require
11 >> python3, while the majority requires python2, and the remainder will
12 >> function with either. For this reason it seems to make more sense to
13 >> me to only set PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" as default, and leave adding
14 >> any python3_* targets to the user. This will also debloat our stage3
15 >> tarballs.
16 >
17 > It looks like we have eliminated most (all?) of the unbounded
18 > dependencies on dev-lang/python from the gentoo repository, so this
19 > could actually work to satisfy the goal of smaller stages and only
20 > having one version of python installed.
21 >
22 > However, it feels like a step backward to me; I would rather treat
23 > python3 as the primary interpreter and python2 as the one necessary
24 > for the legacy baggage.
25
26 I understand the sentiment, and I wish it was possible. I'm not some
27 kind of Luddite. But too many useful packages (still) depend on
28 python2. A couple of months ago I tried switching to python3 (either
29 3.3 or 3.4) only, but I had a growing list of stuff I wanted that
30 ended up in my package.use/py2 file. Pretty soon I decided it was not
31 worth the trouble, and I switched back to python 2.7 only.
32
33 My tree grepping shows 1527 out of 2371 packages with python support
34 need py2 and don't work with py3. It is definitely too early to treat
35 python2 as legacy.
36
37 There are two packages I want to use that need python 3 (compton and
38 pybugz), but I decided I can live without them. And I think this is
39 true for many of our users. They could happily live with just python
40 2.7 as only default. If they do want py3 packages, it is easy enough
41 to add that to PYTHON_TARGETS in make.conf, or individual useflags in
42 package.use.
43
44 > I don't see any strong technical reason to switch from python2 +
45 > python3 to python2-only enabled. Some people don't like having two
46 > versions of python installed -- that's about the gist of it.
47
48 Indeed, there is no strong technical reason, except that some people
49 like to keep their systems more lean. But I think having a smaller
50 stage3 tarball is a more important reason. The python team has
51 historically left that up to the RelEng team, which has been averse to
52 handling that themselves.
53
54 > So, I'm personally not going to make that change without some kind of
55 > vote on it. I can arrange a vote within the python team if you like.
56
57 I would like to hear from the other team members, yes.
60 Cheers,
61
62 Ben | yngwin
63 Gentoo developer