From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, Gentoo Python Project <python@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Reverted python3.4 defaults
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 18:31:45
1 On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 20 July 2015 at 00:03, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3 >> If there are no objections, I would like to enable python3.4 by
4 >> default on Saturday, July 25. That means making the following change:
5 >>
6 >> profiles/base/make.defaults:
7 >> PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4"
8 >
9 > I would like to note that we only have around 50 packages that require
10 > python3, while the majority requires python2, and the remainder will
11 > function with either. For this reason it seems to make more sense to
12 > me to only set PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" as default, and leave adding
13 > any python3_* targets to the user. This will also debloat our stage3
14 > tarballs.
15
16 It looks like we have eliminated most (all?) of the unbounded
17 dependencies on dev-lang/python from the gentoo repository, so this
18 could actually work to satisfy the goal of smaller stages and only
19 having one version of python installed.
20
21 However, it feels like a step backward to me; I would rather treat
22 python3 as the primary interpreter and python2 as the one necessary
23 for the legacy baggage.
24
25 I don't see any strong technical reason to switch from python2 +
26 python3 to python2-only enabled. Some people don't like having two
27 versions of python installed -- that's about the gist of it.
28
29 So, I'm personally not going to make that change without some kind of
30 vote on it. I can arrange a vote within the python team if you like.