From: Bernd Steinhauser <gentoo@×××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:13:28
1 Luca Barbato schrieb:
2 > Bernd Steinhauser wrote:
3 >>>> With your approach, we would have to fix the version after every
4 >>>> 4.1.x release. That sounds awful, tbh. So:
5 >>>
6 >>> No that enforce people update the deps or at least gives one more
7 >>> reason to do. Keep in mind that -9999, -scm ebuild or .live templates
8 >>> aren't for public consumption.
9 >> Except, that it is not that easy.
10 >> The point of time where you have to update your kde deps has nothing
11 >> to do with that.
12 >> This is why we recommend to always reinstall everything from kde svn.
13 >> It is even more likely, that these problems occur after the "bump",
14 >> that shouldn't have been one at all.
15 >
16 > emerge -C @kde-svn
17 >
18 > emerge @kde-svn
19 >
20 > that should suffice.
21 Wow, impressive.
22
23 Actually, you can't be serious...
24
25 >> Of course I can track 4.1.1 with -scm, too, but that was absolutely
26 >> not the point and is by far not what I wanted.
27 >> The point was to track the 4.1 branch and not tags inside.
28 >
29 > If you want to track something you write a template for such thing, you
30 > just need to put a meaningful name, portage won't care if foo-0.live is
31 > really bar branch baz from repo dup.
32 >
33 > Advanced testers should be able to pick the live template and help
34 > testing and should be able to smoothly update, I'm all for it.
35 See, the problem here is, that, I have been using -scm as proposed in
36 GLEP 54 for quite some time now and it works very well.
37 I just don't see any benefit from your proposal, on the contrary there
38 are issues.
39 And that includes the ordering.
40 --
41 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list