From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A few questions to our nominees
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 17:37:22
1 Bernd Steinhauser wrote:
2 >>> With your approach, we would have to fix the version after every
3 >>> 4.1.x release. That sounds awful, tbh. So:
4 >>
5 >> No that enforce people update the deps or at least gives one more
6 >> reason to do. Keep in mind that -9999, -scm ebuild or .live templates
7 >> aren't for public consumption.
8 > Except, that it is not that easy.
9 > The point of time where you have to update your kde deps has nothing to
10 > do with that.
11 > This is why we recommend to always reinstall everything from kde svn.
12 > It is even more likely, that these problems occur after the "bump", that
13 > shouldn't have been one at all.
14
15 emerge -C @kde-svn
16
17 emerge @kde-svn
18
19 that should suffice.
20
21 > Of course I can track 4.1.1 with -scm, too, but that was absolutely not
22 > the point and is by far not what I wanted.
23 > The point was to track the 4.1 branch and not tags inside.
24
25 If you want to track something you write a template for such thing, you
26 just need to put a meaningful name, portage won't care if foo-0.live is
27 really bar branch baz from repo dup.
28
29 Advanced testers should be able to pick the live template and help
30 testing and should be able to smoothly update, I'm all for it.
31
32 > I have got a feeling, that you didn't have to deal with live packages
33 > that much yet. (No offense.)
34
35 Beside e17 and ffmpeg you mean?
36