From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects without a homepage, and valid contents of HOMEPAGE (per bug 239268)
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 06:38:21
1 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sun, 5 Oct 2008, Robin H Johnson wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> HOMEPAGE="http://this-package-has-no-homepage.gentoo.org/"
5 >>> That would impose needless lookups on subdomains of gentoo.org for
6 >>> clients trying to load the homepage.
7 >> http://gentoo.org/package-has-no-homepage/ then.
8 >
9 > Couldn't a page be created at this URL, with a notice that the package
10 > has no real homepage?
11 >
12 > Ulrich
15 I think that'd take too much time to create and maintain that sort of
16 thing, especially once old packages are finally removed from the tree.
17
18 Why not just stick in a message that says "This package has no
19 homepage"? Or "none"? Is there any reason why that couldn't go into the
20 HOMEPAGE="" variable? Will it break QA tools and other utilities?
21
22 Sure, it'd be nice if there was a homepage, but putting one on
23 gentoo.org implies that we do code fixes and other work, not just
24 hosting the tarballs. Do we really want to *be* upstream for all our
25 orphaned packages?