From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects without a homepage, and valid contents of HOMEPAGE (per bug 239268)
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 06:49:12
1 On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 23:38 -0700, Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 > >>>>>> On Sun, 5 Oct 2008, Robin H Johnson wrote:
4 > >
5 > >>>> HOMEPAGE="http://this-package-has-no-homepage.gentoo.org/"
6 > >>> That would impose needless lookups on subdomains of gentoo.org for
7 > >>> clients trying to load the homepage.
8 > >> http://gentoo.org/package-has-no-homepage/ then.
9 > >
10 > > Couldn't a page be created at this URL, with a notice that the package
11 > > has no real homepage?
14 > I think that'd take too much time to create and maintain that sort of
15 > thing, especially once old packages are finally removed from the tree.
16
17 I think the suggestion is to have one generic homepage for all packages
18 without one, not a Gentoo-specific homepage for each project.
19
20 > Why not just stick in a message that says "This package has no
21 > homepage"? Or "none"? Is there any reason why that couldn't go into the
22 > HOMEPAGE="" variable? Will it break QA tools and other utilities?
23
24 I guess there are a bunch of tools out there that expect a URL in
25 HOMEPAGE, so providing one will not raise any potential
26 incompatibilities.
27
28 Hans