From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] questions about small fixes/cleanups
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:21:51
1 On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 08:45:58 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 09/14/2016 01:54 AM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > >
6 > > We had a review of such files before the git conversion:
7 > > https://bugs.gentoo.org/550434
8 > >
9 > > Especially, there's a list of "maintainer scripts" in comment #13.
10 > > At the time, we didn't do anything about them. There are very few of
11 > > such files (namely, 12 when that comment was written) so the space
12 > > taken by them is negligible.
15 > I'll take the low hanging fruit:
16 >
17 > * dev-libs/collada-dom/files/take_snapshot.sh
18 > * sys-libs/libcxxrt/files/prepare_snapshot.sh
19 >
20 > Those two are completely trivial; clone a repo, rm -rf .git, tar it
21 > up.
24 Guess you never had to maintain packages whose releases are only
25 snapshots. They're trivial but it's a waste of time to re-assemble all
26 the bits every couple of months when you want to make a snapshot.
27
28 Questions one needs to answer:
29
30 - What SCM is used ?
31 - What is the URI ?
32 - How to fetch it ?
33 - What should be cleaned up after fetching ?
34 - What dirname to use so that it matches ebuilds' $S ?
35 - What compression to use so that it matches SRC_URI ?
40 Those scripts are made to automate this, and as you can see are closely
41 related to ebuilds, and thus fit perfectly next to them.