From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 21:17:24
1 On 06/13/2016 10:59 AM, Duncan wrote:
2 > M. J. Everitt posted on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 09:09:13 +0100 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> On 13/06/16 09:04, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
5 >>> On 11/06/16 09:00, Michał Górny wrote:
6 >>>> If you are not going to maintain your contribution, we can't
7 >>>> guarantee it will be accepted. I'm certainly not interested in having
8 >>>> to worry about 20 more maintainer-needed packages next month because
9 >>>> someone contributed an ebuild that seemed good enough.
10 >>> This is a good point. Contributions that no devs are willing to
11 >>> maintain would not make it into the curated and reviewed repositories I
12 >>> am referring to.
13 >>>
14 >>> As an aside, perhaps we should start featuring third-party overlays
15 >>> more prominently, as this is where these ebuilds belong.
16 >>
17 >> Excuse me .. and this thread emerged from deprecating the EXACT thing
18 >> you are suggesting!?
19 >
20 > Hardly. There are many project, developer and advanced user overlays,
21 > many of which are available via layman, while others may only be on github
22 > or elsewhere. The one deprecated and under discussion for removal in
23 > this thread is sunrise, which was a great idea in its time but has now
24 > been left behind by further developments, including more individual
25 > overlays in layman, and the continued rise in popularity of github. In
26 > fact, the effect has been so large that sunrise has effectively
27 > stagnated, and nobody noticed it for months. Now that people have
28 > noticed it, they/we are simply recognizing the change in usage after-the-
29 > fact and debating the most useful way to shut down just the one single
30 > overlay, because others have succeeded so well that there's little need
31 > for the special incubator role sunrise once played any longer.
32 >
33 +1
34
35 Bam, nailed it.
38 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
39 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
40 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6