From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 18:03:07
1 M. J. Everitt posted on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 09:09:13 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 13/06/16 09:04, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
4 >> On 11/06/16 09:00, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >> > If you are not going to maintain your contribution, we can't
6 >> > guarantee it will be accepted. I'm certainly not interested in having
7 >> > to worry about 20 more maintainer-needed packages next month because
8 >> > someone contributed an ebuild that seemed good enough.
9 >> This is a good point. Contributions that no devs are willing to
10 >> maintain would not make it into the curated and reviewed repositories I
11 >> am referring to.
12 >>
13 >> As an aside, perhaps we should start featuring third-party overlays
14 >> more prominently, as this is where these ebuilds belong.
15 >
16 > Excuse me .. and this thread emerged from deprecating the EXACT thing
17 > you are suggesting!?
18
19 Hardly. There are many project, developer and advanced user overlays,
20 many of which are available via layman, while others may only be on github
21 or elsewhere. The one deprecated and under discussion for removal in
22 this thread is sunrise, which was a great idea in its time but has now
23 been left behind by further developments, including more individual
24 overlays in layman, and the continued rise in popularity of github. In
25 fact, the effect has been so large that sunrise has effectively
26 stagnated, and nobody noticed it for months. Now that people have
27 noticed it, they/we are simply recognizing the change in usage after-the-
28 fact and debating the most useful way to shut down just the one single
29 overlay, because others have succeeded so well that there's little need
30 for the special incubator role sunrise once played any longer.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman