From: Dave Nellans <dnellans@×××××××.edu>
To: Georgi Georgiev <chutz-dated-1060403692.d79fb4587a07@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] dummy-sources
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 05:39:35
1 ok, that makes more sense now.
2
3 what happened to the suggested solution a few emails ago that in this
4 case the user should just create their own dummy-sources ebuild of
5 sufficiently high version and keep it in their local overlay tree?
6
7 while this is a legitimate grip of the portage system because it is not
8 convienent to do this, portage "does" have what i see as a solution, its
9 just not as convenient as one might want it.
10
11 so the question is should portage change to make this easier as per
12 suggested below. i vote no because if we make a "dummy-XXX" then one
13 could argue that every package should have a dummy-* build for it. in
14 the long run i'm sure some user will write the dummy-* build for most
15 packagse in portage and that would significantly grow (everyone agree?)
16 the size of the tree as a solution that is for convenience.
17
18 dave