From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] creating ebuilds
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:17:56
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:02:13 +0200
3 Eldad Zack <eldad@××××××××××××××.cx> wrote:
4
5 > On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 19:56, Eldad Zack wrote:
6 > > On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 14:33, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > I'm sorry for that. It however can be a sign that the tree is not
9 > > > ready for those ebuilds, or that they are in very low demand.
10 > >
11 > > Perhaps we can create some sort of repository for these kind of
12 > > ebuilds, as an outlet for the low-demand ebuilds, where a user could
13 > > search for an ebuild, and not reinvent the wheel, if a package he'd
14 > > like to install falls under this category.
15 > >
16 > > Searching bugzilla would yield the same results, I assume, but it's
17 > > seems to me somewhat less inviting.
18 >
19 > I Just noticed breakmygentoo. maybe a link with a disclaimer from
20 > gentoo.org would come in handy?
21 >
22 NO DAMMIT NO!!
25 <soundtrack artist="sundown" cd="glimmer" track="07" title="stab">
26
27 Okay, This thread has detoriated beyond the minimum level of sanity
28 needed for me to allow said people to continue their breathing.
29
30 Not personal to you, Edlad, But to everyone who are involved in the
31 argument "creating ebuilds"
32
33 BMG is broken by design. Most of the people haven't even heard
34 about syntax, yet lest know the basic about the few weak concepts that
35 are logic and case studies. Dont get me into dependencies and quality
36 control here.
37
38 I have dev status, and I've got enough old time status here to take it
39 on me that if BMG is linked to in the current state, I will personally
40 maim the one who does it, and revert their links and commits.
44 Second point I want to make : If anyone touches, installs or tries to
45 work with BMG ebuilds, their systems should be completely -Wiped- at a
46 low level before ever being allowed in bugzilla. preferrably they should
47 be blacklisted as support-impossible. Conflicting namespaces, library
48 links and pkg_ time modifications of live systems all make me want to
49 track down and do preventive QA.
50
51 </soundtrack>
55 <soundtrack artist="sundown" cd="glimmer" track="04" title="prey">
56
57 Following the idea of accepting user tested ebuilds? Don't make me
58 laugh. please. I've seen the amount of complete crud , and the lack of
59 the even most basic concept and ideas of quality .. . "ohh, we need
60 gnome here gnome-base/gnome is gnome.. yeeey... DEPEND="gtk+" is a
61 great way to solve it, and so is x11-libs/qt ... of coouurse.
62
63 Or the othertime favourite.. ."but you shouldn't need that cause it will
64 compile without it.... And then break when it is removed because
65 theres no dependency on it but it was linked in an update when you had
66 it installed" ... Yeaaah right. * -GAH- *
71 My level of frustration here is multifold.. At one point came the idea
72 up that ACCEPT_KEYWORDS = ~ARCH was for broken packages.. Yeahoo yahoo.
73 I think you should sit down and think over the documentation and
74 principial ideas of QA and QC for a while. ~arch is for -testing-
75 builds. For the sake of finding such nice issues like that
76 libao-1.8.4-r1 doesn't work with autoconf 2.57 but will work with
77 2.58...
78
79 Not, because libao is a fun ultrabeta that is known to eat files in
80 random spite, or cause complete breakage in the system.
81
82 The fact that the author who claimed that ACCEPT_KEYWORDS should be the
83 broken playground is running the hard-masked version of KDE-3.2_beta, a
84 version which is in itself beyond the scope of ACCEPT_KEYWORDS ,
85 ought to be enough.
86
87 </soundtrack>
90 Others have argumented the point about "developer care" and "developer
91 responsibility" as well as that of "guaranteed response time" for me
92 earlier in this thread, so I won't have to go into that again here, do
93 I?
97 *sigh*
98
99 //Spider
102 begin .signature
103 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
105 end