From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improving Gentoo User Relations
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:07:51
1 Volkov Peter wrote:
2 > Hello.
3 >
4 > IMO the very important element of gentoo user relations that is absent
5 > at w.g.o is search field! Gentoo does not have good searching point.
6 >
7 > Each time I encounter bug/problem before asking for help if I'm a good
8 > boy I have to search for solution in different places: forums, mailing
9 > lists, bugzilla. If I heard that gentoo has some feature and I'd like to
10 > find some relevant information, I have to search forums, mailing lists,
11 > wiki, google. That is really uncomfortable. I have to open many
12 > different search pages in my browser and cut and paste my search pattern
13 > there, wait many times for results... And now pretend first day user..!
14 >
15 > This omission really disturbs. So just some notes, on what IMO shall be
16 > done. Search should spread among all gentoo projects, subprojects, ml,
17 > blogs and etc. Search should be customized (fex, I'd like to search only
18 > -user mailing list, Assistance forums, and bugs.g.o). It's good idea to
19 > save searches (like save searches in bugzilla). BTW. There were already
20 > suggestions with working implementations:
21 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/33296
22 >
23 > Peter.
24
25 Thanks for your interest. A comprehensive search is on our ToDo list.
26 There is no ETA for when this will go live.
27
28 --curtis