From: Volkov Peter <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improving Gentoo User Relations
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 08:37:04
1 Hello.
2
3 IMO the very important element of gentoo user relations that is absent
4 at w.g.o is search field! Gentoo does not have good searching point.
5
6 Each time I encounter bug/problem before asking for help if I'm a good
7 boy I have to search for solution in different places: forums, mailing
8 lists, bugzilla. If I heard that gentoo has some feature and I'd like to
9 find some relevant information, I have to search forums, mailing lists,
10 wiki, google. That is really uncomfortable. I have to open many
11 different search pages in my browser and cut and paste my search pattern
12 there, wait many times for results... And now pretend first day user..!
13
14 This omission really disturbs. So just some notes, on what IMO shall be
15 done. Search should spread among all gentoo projects, subprojects, ml,
16 blogs and etc. Search should be customized (fex, I'd like to search only
17 -user mailing list, Assistance forums, and bugs.g.o). It's good idea to
18 save searches (like save searches in bugzilla). BTW. There were already
19 suggestions with working implementations:
20 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/33296
21
22 Peter.
23 --