From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flag dri (reverted)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 09:37:17
1 Am Sonntag, 20. Januar 2013, 18:16:32 schrieb Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn:
2 > Mike Frysinger schrieb:
3 > > On Sunday 20 January 2013 10:54:55 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
4 > >> Yes, I mentioned this in another post already. We can use EAPI=1 IUSE
5 > >> defaults instead. But this will not change any systems so I fail to
6 > >> see the point behind this. This will only move clutter from profiles
7 > >> into ebuilds.
8 > >
9 > > where it should have been in the first place. if it's a package-specific
10 > > issue, then it belongs in the package.
11 >
12 > It is a common issue shared among all packages and package versions that
13 > have this flag. So I think the profile is the correct place.
16 Following the discussion here, I've come to the conclusion that I made a bad
17 call w/r to removing dri from default/linux after learning more about its
18 effect. Summarizing, USE=dri
19 * is the recommended default anytime
20 * is needed in particular also in the embedded case (about as far from desktop
21 as possible)
22
23 Discussion here and on #g-dev presented two options, either
24 * enabling dri in all relevant ebuilds as default-on, or
25 * re-adding it to the profile.
26
27 Chí-Thanh, who is the maintainer of the relevant packages, prefers a central
28 setting. We've talked about this once more on IRC, I've reverted the profile
29 commit and USE=dri is again enabled in default/linux/make.defaults.
30
31 [We can still migrate to IUSE="+dri" in the ebuilds over time but that is a
32 separate issue.]
33
34 I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.
38 Andreas K. Huettel
39 Gentoo Linux developer
40 dilfridge@g.o
41 http://www.akhuettel.de/