From: Holger Brueckner <lists@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Plans for new website.
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:06:28
1 OK I'm new to zope myself but it really looks like you should have
2 a look at zope + cmf (content management framework, was
3 portal toolkit). i would say that around 60 to 70% of your wanted
4 items have a out of the box solution ...
5
6 http://www.zope.org
7 http://cmf.zope.org
8
9 just a thought :)
10
11 darks
12
13 ----- Original Message -----
14 From: "Karl Trygve Kalleberg" <karltk@×××××××.no>
15 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
16 Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 5:24 PM
17 Subject: [gentoo-dev] Plans for new website.
20 > Hi gentooers.
21 >
22 > <t4k30v4r>
23 >
24 > IRC junkies drobbins, g2boojum, Thread, myself and a few passers-by had a
25 > fruitful discussion on how to restructure/upgrade/extend the gentoo.org
26 web
27 > system in the near future.
28 >
29 > Here are the results of that first conversation. If anybody has anything
31 > add, criticisms to make, or want to help out on any of parts, please post
32 > back to this list.
33 >
34 > List of points:
37 > - Divide gentoo web system into two disjoint parts:
38 > - dynamic, for developers
39 > - static, for end-users
40 >
41 > Rationale: We do not have enough server horsepowers (in terms of
42 bandwidth)
43 > to have a fully-dynamic end-user site, if we get the number of users
44 that we
45 > wish for.
46 >
47 > - Use XML for all documents
48 >
49 > Rationale: XML here is just a fancy name for "structured". I'll not bore
50 > you with why we think structured documents are far superior to
51 unstructured
52 > ones. Start a new thread for this flamewar ;p
53 >
54 > - It would be cool if
55 > - We could just add a file to a directory, and it'd show up on the
56 > site (g2boojum)
57 > - the main page had news, in the spirit of PHPNuke (drobbins)
58 > - had a "last updated" thing on each page (drobbins)
59 > - shrank the top header bar to 1/2 the height (drobbins)
60 > - more effectively used the left link area (drobbins)
61 > - had a "printable version" of each page (drobbins)
62 > - had a package database online (drobbins)
63 > - had a section for bios of the dev team (drobbins)
64 > - had bug-reporting features in the package database (karltk)
65 > - had an online-shoppe of olde and fresh gentoo cds (drobbins)
66 > - the dev-wiki was extended to support team-work (drobbins)
67 > - had team pages, which contains: (drobbins)
68 > - name of the team
69 > - list of team members
70 > - title of each member
71 > - team email
72 > - team mailing list
73 > - up-to-date list of all packages managed by the team
74 > - contents of stable team release
75 > - contents of unstable team release
76 > - outstanding problems with stable release
77 > - outstanding problems with unstable release
78 > - team leader
79 > - team-wiki
80 > - merge team wikis with main wiki, using a team-field in all posts
81 > (g2boojum)
82 > - mirroring dynamic stuff is troublesome (karltk)
83 > - search facility on the main site (karltk)
84 > - icon/color for each time in the mega-wiki (Thread, karltk)
85 > - parsing comments in each ebuild to add it to a team's
86 > responsibility list (drobbins, karltk)
87 > - we could add new teams and in the future, sub teams. (drobbins)
88 >
89 > Note: This is the list of "neat stuff we want". Please add new things
90 > here. If any of the points on this list isn't understandable, please
91 make
92 > notify the list and I'll clarify as best as I can.
93 >
94 > Rationale: We intend for this list to "float around" for a week or two,
95 so
96 > that everybody get their chance to contribute and come with input. Then
97 the
98 > web team will traverse the list in prioritised order and implement the
99 > features (more or less ;p).
100 >
101 > If the majority if the developers think the dichotomy of the web site is
102 > acceptable, we should perhaps split this discussion off into two threads.
103 >
104 > Especially important to uncover in the developers section would be how we
105 > envision teams to operate. Which support facilities do they need from the
106 web
107 > system ? Bug database, package lists, task lists, etc, etc..
108 >
109 > The end-user section will probably stay fairly rudimentary for a bit
110 longer,
111 > as we simply don't have too much content here. As we manage to collect
112 more
113 > HOWTOs, we should look into how to structure this.
114 >
115 > In the meantime, should we forward wayward users to linuxdoc.org in some
116 way ?
119 > Kind regards,
120 >
121 > Karl T