From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Plans for new website.
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:44:10
1 Hi gentooers.
2
3 <t4k30v4r>
4
5 IRC junkies drobbins, g2boojum, Thread, myself and a few passers-by had a
6 fruitful discussion on how to restructure/upgrade/extend the gentoo.org web
7 system in the near future.
8
9 Here are the results of that first conversation. If anybody has anything to
10 add, criticisms to make, or want to help out on any of parts, please post
11 back to this list.
12
13 List of points:
16 - Divide gentoo web system into two disjoint parts:
17 - dynamic, for developers
18 - static, for end-users
19
20 Rationale: We do not have enough server horsepowers (in terms of bandwidth)
21 to have a fully-dynamic end-user site, if we get the number of users that we
22 wish for.
23
24 - Use XML for all documents
25
26 Rationale: XML here is just a fancy name for "structured". I'll not bore
27 you with why we think structured documents are far superior to unstructured
28 ones. Start a new thread for this flamewar ;p
29
30 - It would be cool if
31 - We could just add a file to a directory, and it'd show up on the
32 site (g2boojum)
33 - the main page had news, in the spirit of PHPNuke (drobbins)
34 - had a "last updated" thing on each page (drobbins)
35 - shrank the top header bar to 1/2 the height (drobbins)
36 - more effectively used the left link area (drobbins)
37 - had a "printable version" of each page (drobbins)
38 - had a package database online (drobbins)
39 - had a section for bios of the dev team (drobbins)
40 - had bug-reporting features in the package database (karltk)
41 - had an online-shoppe of olde and fresh gentoo cds (drobbins)
42 - the dev-wiki was extended to support team-work (drobbins)
43 - had team pages, which contains: (drobbins)
44 - name of the team
45 - list of team members
46 - title of each member
47 - team email
48 - team mailing list
49 - up-to-date list of all packages managed by the team
50 - contents of stable team release
51 - contents of unstable team release
52 - outstanding problems with stable release
53 - outstanding problems with unstable release
54 - team leader
55 - team-wiki
56 - merge team wikis with main wiki, using a team-field in all posts
57 (g2boojum)
58 - mirroring dynamic stuff is troublesome (karltk)
59 - search facility on the main site (karltk)
60 - icon/color for each time in the mega-wiki (Thread, karltk)
61 - parsing comments in each ebuild to add it to a team's
62 responsibility list (drobbins, karltk)
63 - we could add new teams and in the future, sub teams. (drobbins)
64
65 Note: This is the list of "neat stuff we want". Please add new things
66 here. If any of the points on this list isn't understandable, please make
67 notify the list and I'll clarify as best as I can.
68
69 Rationale: We intend for this list to "float around" for a week or two, so
70 that everybody get their chance to contribute and come with input. Then the
71 web team will traverse the list in prioritised order and implement the
72 features (more or less ;p).
73
74 If the majority if the developers think the dichotomy of the web site is
75 acceptable, we should perhaps split this discussion off into two threads.
76
77 Especially important to uncover in the developers section would be how we
78 envision teams to operate. Which support facilities do they need from the web
79 system ? Bug database, package lists, task lists, etc, etc..
80
81 The end-user section will probably stay fairly rudimentary for a bit longer,
82 as we simply don't have too much content here. As we manage to collect more
83 HOWTOs, we should look into how to structure this.
84
85 In the meantime, should we forward wayward users to linuxdoc.org in some way ?
88 Kind regards,
89
90 Karl T