From: "Chad M. Huneycutt" <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stable and unstable branches.
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:28:47
1 Christian Axelsson wrote:
2 > How about mask the "unstable" ebuilds in the stable distribution?
3 > That provides a simple solution for the Debian problem. If you want that
4 > new bleeding edge ebuild, just unmask it on your own risk. It will probably
5 > just be as stable as it is today.
6 > But to talk against myself on this:
7
8 KEYWORDS will let us do this alot more effectively. The way they work
9 is that an ebuild will have
10
11 KEYWORDS="unstable"
12
13 to indicate that an ebuild needs to be tested before it can be called
14 "stable". A user can list which keywords they will accept, so if you
15 accept "unstable" packages, then those will be available to you.
16
17 This is a rough description of how they will work. We still have some
18 details to work out, and I don't have the full picture yet, but expect
19 an announcement soon. We are also using this functionality to support
20 the alternative architectures.
21
22 Chad