From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] various ebuild problems
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:38:29
1 On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 10:01:36PM -0500, Jon Nelson wrote:
2
3 > Let me ask this: If the purpose of the USE variable is to define what we
4 > do and don't want (gnome, gtk, kde, etc...) and a program can be
5 > compile with or without explicit support for something, shouldn't
6 > the ebuild for that package honor the USE variable?
7
8 The purpose of USE variables is to define *what _optional_ build-time
9 functionality* you want enabled/disabled. Hope that helps.
12 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
13 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org
14 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.