From: Jon Nelson <jnelson@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] various ebuild problems
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:12:28
1 On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:38:29 -0600
2 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 10:01:36PM -0500, Jon Nelson wrote:
5 >
6 > > Let me ask this: If the purpose of the USE variable is to define what
7 we
8 > > do and don't want (gnome, gtk, kde, etc...) and a program can be
9 > > compile with or without explicit support for something, shouldn't
10 > > the ebuild for that package honor the USE variable?
11 >
12 > The purpose of USE variables is to define *what _optional_ build-time
13 > functionality* you want enabled/disabled. Hope that helps.
14
15 That is exactly my point. This instance is a perfect example.
16 I do not have gnome in my USE variables. However, the current
17 ebuild for galeon assumes I do, although it can be built without
18 --with-gnome.
19
20 Put another way, "gnome" in my USE variables should imply
21 "--with-gnome" in the configure script, and no "gnome" in my USE
22 variables ought to imply that "--with-gnome" is *not* in the configure,
23 if the program can be built that way, of course, which galeon can.
26 Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.
27
28 Jon Nelson
29 jnelson@×××××××.net