From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] various ebuild problems
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 02:08:30
1 tor 2001-10-25 klockan 06.24 skrev Jon Nelson:
2 > On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:38:29 -0600
3 > Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 10:01:36PM -0500, Jon Nelson wrote:
6 > >
7 > > > Let me ask this: If the purpose of the USE variable is to define what
8 > we
9 > > > do and don't want (gnome, gtk, kde, etc...) and a program can be
10 > > > compile with or without explicit support for something, shouldn't
11 > > > the ebuild for that package honor the USE variable?
12 > >
13 > > The purpose of USE variables is to define *what _optional_ build-time
14 > > functionality* you want enabled/disabled. Hope that helps.
15 >
16 > That is exactly my point. This instance is a perfect example.
17 > I do not have gnome in my USE variables. However, the current
18 > ebuild for galeon assumes I do, although it can be built without
19 > --with-gnome.
20
21 Hi!
22
23 Hmm.. from what I can see in the configure-script there are no flag
24 --with-gnome _AND_ GNOME is not optional when using Galeon. It's a
25 GNOME-browser. Also, the --with-gnome has often been confusing to people
26 since it's not whether to build with gnome-support, it's to tell _where_
27 GNOME is installed. --with-gnome=prefix...
28
29 However, I think what's causing the problem here is the
30 --enable-gnome-file-selector. Because when that is added Galeon should
31 also depend on bonobo (which you might not have installed).
32
33 About your patch, it doesn't seem to be doing what you want it too. It
34 disables the --enable-gnome-file-selector for people who don't have
35 gnome in there USE-variable but it doesn't fix the deps-problem (which
36 in this case is bonobo), so any person who tries to merge galeon with
37 gnome in the USE and not having Bonobo installed will have the same
38 problems.
39
40 --enable-gnome-file-selector refers to the GNOME_FileSelector
41 Bonobo-component which we don't have in portage so the switch is
42 pointless.
43
44 I've removed the two pointless (one of which doesn't seem to exist) in
45 -r3.
46
47 > Put another way, "gnome" in my USE variables should imply
48 > "--with-gnome" in the configure script, and no "gnome" in my USE
49 > variables ought to imply that "--with-gnome" is *not* in the configure,
50 > if the program can be built that way, of course, which galeon can.
51
52 As stated above, no :)
53
54 And in the case of Galeon there is no way to avoid getting all the
55 gnome-libs installed since it's a GNOME-browser making heavy use of the
56 GNOME platform. If we in the future get the bonobo file browser in
57 Portage it should be using the "bonobo" USE-flag, not the GNOME one.
58
59 Regards,
60 Mikael Hallendal
64 Mikael Hallendal
65 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
66 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden