From: Jon Nelson <jnelson@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] various ebuild problems
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:11:47
1 On 25 Oct 2001 10:09:37 +0200
2 Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hmm.. from what I can see in the configure-script there are no flag
5 > --with-gnome _AND_ GNOME is not optional when using Galeon. It's a
6 > GNOME-browser. Also, the --with-gnome has often been confusing to people
7 > since it's not whether to build with gnome-support, it's to tell _where_
8 > GNOME is installed. --with-gnome=prefix...
9 >
10 > However, I think what's causing the problem here is the
11 > --enable-gnome-file-selector. Because when that is added Galeon should
12 > also depend on bonobo (which you might not have installed).
13 >
14 > About your patch, it doesn't seem to be doing what you want it too. It
15 > disables the --enable-gnome-file-selector for people who don't have
16 > gnome in there USE-variable but it doesn't fix the deps-problem (which
17 > in this case is bonobo), so any person who tries to merge galeon with
18 > gnome in the USE and not having Bonobo installed will have the same
19 > problems.
20 >
21 > --enable-gnome-file-selector refers to the GNOME_FileSelector
22 > Bonobo-component which we don't have in portage so the switch is
23 > pointless.
24
25 Aha! I suspected that but by then it was past my bedtime.
26 I'm trying your -r3 now, and will let you know how it goes tonight.
27
28 > I've removed the two pointless (one of which doesn't seem to exist) in
29 > -r3.
30 >
31 > > Put another way, "gnome" in my USE variables should imply
32 > > "--with-gnome" in the configure script, and no "gnome" in my USE
33 > > variables ought to imply that "--with-gnome" is *not* in the
34 configure,
35 > > if the program can be built that way, of course, which galeon can.
36 >
37 > As stated above, no :)
38 >
39 > And in the case of Galeon there is no way to avoid getting all the
40 > gnome-libs installed since it's a GNOME-browser making heavy use of the
41 > GNOME platform. If we in the future get the bonobo file browser in
42 > Portage it should be using the "bonobo" USE-flag, not the GNOME one.
43
44 Gotcha.
45 --
46 Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.
47
48 Jon Nelson
49 jnelson@×××××××.net