From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: likewhoa <weboperative@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Seeking questions for a user survey
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:04:35
1 On Monday 14 January 2008, likewhoa wrote:
2 > On Jan 15, 2008 12:16 AM, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 22:53 +0000, likewhoa wrote:
4 > > > Which livecd(s) do they prefer?
5 > > >
6 > > > > Gentoo livecd-2007.0
7 > > > > Sabayon livecd
8 > > > > Sysresccd
9 > > > > Knoppix
10 > > > > My own
11 > > > > Other
12 > >
13 > > Be sure to list the Minimal CD and the Universal CD, as well as the
14 > > LiveCD, and also list the LiveDVD. We'll have to relate this data to
15 > > the architecture used when we try to make anything useful out of it, but
16 > > it'll be more accurate, as I definitely want to know *which* Gentoo
17 > > media people are using. I would also add something like "an older
18 > > Gentoo CD" to the mix.
19 > >
20 > > > Do you think commercial packages should be part of the main tree?
21 > > >
22 > > > > Yes
23 > > > > No
24 > > > > Why not
25 > > > > Never!
26 > > > > in unofficial overlay
27 > > > > Dunno
28 > >
29 > > Is this something that we really even want to ask? I mean, if we're all
30 > > about trying to provide the best user experience, then binary packages
31 > > are almost a requirement, especially with binary packages that were
32 > > originally targeted at specific binary distributions. I tend to see
33 > > this as one of those "religious" issues that is best left alone, like
34 > > emacs versus vi.
35 >
36 > Yea commercial packages should maybe be part of overlays.gentoo.org so
37 > that the tree can stay clean from these types of packages. But I agree
38 > if it's decided not to included in the user survey.
39
40 i dont see any basis for "keeping the tree clean" other than personal
41 opinions. if you dont want "these types of packages", then dont emerge them.
42 there are people who want them, there are people who need them, there are
43 people who hate them, whatever. the package manager is the tool for the end
44 user to decide what to do with their system. anything else is not the way to
45 go. to borrow a few flavor words from Chris, here in Gentoo land we empower
46 the users, we do not force some arbitrary religious thinking on them. we are
47 not the FSF. if a user does not agree with this, then they're certainly free
48 to choose another distribution, and we'll wish them the best of luck (the FSF
49 does have a list of "recommended" distributions -- Gentoo of course does not
50 appear on that list because our mind set does not match theirs).
51 -mike