From: likewhoa <weboperative@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Seeking questions for a user survey
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 00:34:50
1 On Jan 15, 2008 12:16 AM, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 2008-01-14 at 22:53 +0000, likewhoa wrote:
4 > > Which DE/WM would you prefer for the gentoo livecd instead of the one
5 > > provided?
6 > > > Kde
7 > > > Xfce
8 > > > Fluxbox
9 > > > E16
10 > > > Fvwm
11 > > > Gnome
12 > > > Other
13 >
14 > Can I suggest that we not ask anything that we likely won't change? I
15 > have a strong feeling that KDE would win out here, but there's *NO WAY*
16 > that we can fit KDE on a LiveCD with the other stuff. When we were
17 > planning 2007.1, we had decided to switch to Xfce, simply because of the
18 > space savings. Cramming a lot of useful stuff onto 700MB is *not* an
19 > easy task. Space is our biggest enemy here. Were we to drop the LiveCD
20 > fully in favor of the LiveDVD, then I could see this as (somewhat)
21 > valid, as all of those Window Managers/Desktop Environments are already
22 > shipped on the LiveDVD (except FVWM). I'm not too interested in
23 > people's opinions for the defaults on a media set that includes them all
24 > and each is only a click or two away, though, as it doesn't really add
25 > anything to what we provide. If it weren't for the size constraints,
26 > I'd love to know what people prefer on the CD, so I don't want anyone to
27 > think that we don't care. We do. We just are limited by a hard size
28 > limit than we cannot do anything about and have to act accordingly.
29
30 I totally agree with you on that and when I asked that question I only
31 wanted to see what people prefer and I don't expect users to demand a
32 change based on the survey question responce. I for one love to have
33 the livecd run on a WM vs a DE, but again I start the livecd with
34 'gentoo nox' most times. Maybe the livecd should run a WM and the
35 liveDVD can run the rest this would free up the livecd and give it
36 more room for other packages that are missing on the livecd, these
37 packages could be stuff like wifi tools,system rescue tools, benchmark
38 etc.
43 > > Do they use grp packages?
44 > > > Yes
45 > > > No
46 > > > What is grp?
47 > > > Sometimes
48 > > > Never
49 >
50 > Definitely word this in a manner so people know what you're referring
51 > to. I would say something more along the lines of "Do you use the
52 > Installer in Networkless mode or GRP packages when installing your
53 > system?"
54
55 Good way to put it, I was gonna add "GRP - Gentoo Release Packages" myself.
60 > > Which livecd(s) do they prefer?
61 > > > Gentoo livecd-2007.0
62 > > > Sabayon livecd
63 > > > Sysresccd
64 > > > Knoppix
65 > > > My own
66 > > > Other
67 >
68 > Be sure to list the Minimal CD and the Universal CD, as well as the
69 > LiveCD, and also list the LiveDVD. We'll have to relate this data to
70 > the architecture used when we try to make anything useful out of it, but
71 > it'll be more accurate, as I definitely want to know *which* Gentoo
72 > media people are using. I would also add something like "an older
73 > Gentoo CD" to the mix.
77 > > Do you think commercial packages should be part of the main tree?
78 > > > Yes
79 > > > No
80 > > > Why not
81 > > > Never!
82 > > > in unofficial overlay
83 > > > Dunno
84 >
85 > Is this something that we really even want to ask? I mean, if we're all
86 > about trying to provide the best user experience, then binary packages
87 > are almost a requirement, especially with binary packages that were
88 > originally targeted at specific binary distributions. I tend to see
89 > this as one of those "religious" issues that is best left alone, like
90 > emacs versus vi.
91
92 Yea commercial packages should maybe be part of overlays.gentoo.org so
93 that the tree can stay clean from these types of packages. But I agree
94 if it's decided not to included in the user survey.
99 > > How often should GWN be updated?
100 > > > once a week
101 > > > everyday
102 > > > every month
103 > > > every six months
104 > > > what is GWN?
105 >
106 > Again, you're asking something that I don't think that we should be
107 > asking. We couldn't get content even though we begged and pleaded for
108 > it. No offense meant to anyone, but I don't care if people want a daily
109 > newsletter. If we cannot get enough content, we cannot get enough
110 > content. No survey is going to change that, and asking a question like
111 > this gives the impression that the user's opinion will make a
112 > difference, when it likely will not. I'd much rather not ask questions
113 > that the users are going to feel like they were "ignored" than ask them
114 > and not make any changes based on the answers. Of course, if you're
115 > volunteering to pick up the slack and write any necessary articles to
116 > make it happen at the interval decided by our users, well, I completely
117 > welcome it, then... ;]
120 > > Do you like the Gentoo Linux Installer (GLI)?
121 > > > Yes
122 > > > No
123 > > > Never heard of it
124 >
125 > I'd like to see the answers to this one, but I have a feeling that
126 > everybody has a love/hate relationship with this. They either love it,
127 > or they hate it. I also tend to think that *many* people have an
128 > opinion on the Installer without ever even using it. As such, I don't
129 > think that we'd get any usable results out of this, but it'll still be
130 > fun to ask.
131
132 I for one never used it so I can't really love or hate it but from
133 what people who have used it tells me to stay away from it because
134 I'll eventually hate it.
138 > --
139 > Chris Gianelloni
140 > Release Engineering Strategic Lead
141 > Games Developer
144 Thanks for the great feedback Chris Gianelloni
145 Fernando
146 --
147 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list