From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] profiles 17.0 hardened/no-multilib missing?
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2017 21:28:07
1 On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 16:13:47 -0500
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > I'm not sure if anything is using that particular profile. I tried to
5 > create a new subprofile myself,
6 >
7 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-hardened/message/ab7ef753aa88f21c8a05d667cf511a24
8 >
9 > and wound up (indirectly) using arch/amd64/no-multilib as the parent
10 > instead of your [1]. I think USE="pic" by default is the only
11 > difference.
12 >
13 > In any case, until it becomes official, I'm probably just going to
14 > fake the profile with a symlink to the no-multilib profile's
15 > use.mask. That at least prevents me from building a multilib gcc,
16 > glibc, and sandbox.
17
18 Having created some profiles myself for my own purposes. Seems Gentoo
19 could really use and benefit from Funtoo's Flavors and Mix-ins. Seems
20 a much better approach than the current profiles situation in Gentoo.
21 https://www.funtoo.org/Funtoo_Profiles
24 "This new system is really a completion of the original cascading
25 profile design that was co-designed by Daniel Robbins and Seemant
26 Kulleen and implemented by Seemant Kulleen as part of Portage."
27 https://www.funtoo.org/Funtoo_Profiles#History_and_Origins
30 William L. Thomson Jr.