From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Bruno <bonbons67@××××××××.lu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] baselayout-1.13 going into ~ARCH soon
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:39:18
1 On Monday 06 November 2006 17:12, Bruno wrote:
2 > How is the case where the / partition always remains ro handled? Is
3 > rc-state information put into a tmpfs partition on that location, is the
4 > location configured differently for those?
5
6 Good question!
7
8 / is always ro at boot and the checkroot init script remounts it rw after
9 checking it.
10
11 As such, we mount /lib/rcscripts/init.d/ as tmpfs (or ramfs or similar). Yes,
12 this means that the kernel must be configured with a ramdisk or similar
13 OR /lib/rscripts/init.d is writeable.
14
15 At the end of the rc process (ie end of boot runlevel) we tar up our state
16 dir, unmount it and untar it back (taking good care with locking due to
17 parallel starts and event driven services).
18
19 Admittedly, an always ro / isn't handled right now, but I'll ensure it will be
20 for the next release :)
21
22 Thanks
25 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
26 Gentoo/Linux/FreeBSD Developer (baselayout, networking)
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list