From: gentoo-user@××××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] passwd and group files in new baselayout
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 14:47:38
1 On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Will Rogers wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 >
5 > I didn't get any answer for this in the user list, so I'll try it here.
6 > It's a little more dev-related anyway.
7 >
8 > I just merged the new baselayout package, and I have one question:
9 >
10 > The new /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and /etc/shadow files have some
11 > different id numbers for different accounts, and one that I added myself
12 > (postdrop) is now included, but with a different id than I used. Should
13 > I make an effort to change to these new ids, or it not matter? That is,
14 > do ebuilds assume certain a uid or gid when installing a package?
17 To my knowledge (I'm not a gentoo developer), the packages depend on names
18 only. One can never know for most id's what number they have. Your
19 filesystem does depend on numbers though. This means it is probably the
20 best solution give your postdrop the same uid it had before things got
21 changed. If you fear problems with what's installed now, you can also run
22 a chown on all files that should belong to postdrop.
23
24 Good luck,
25
26 ps. Root and nobody/nogroup should keep their id's (0 and 99). Those are
27 standard
30 ___
31 /~~~\ | Paul de Vrieze
32 | O-O | | Student of information management and technology
33 | _ | | Mail: Paul@××××××××.net
34 \___/ | Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net