From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] using unsermake instead of automake to speed up distcc
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 06:54:04
1 Troy Dack wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 16:44, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >
4 >>Someone posted an article[1] about optimizing distcc a few days ago on -user. It talked
5 >>about using unsermake[2] instead of automake to generate Makefiles that let many source
6 >>files be built at once, which allows you to take full advantage of a network full of
7 >>distcc hosts. Did any of the devs take a look at it? It appears to only be available
8 >>through KDE CVS, but that's never stopped any of you before :)
9 >>
10 >>[1] http://www.csh.rit.edu/slashdot/distcc.html
11 >>[2] http://www.kde.me.uk/index.php?page=unsermake
14 > I did attempt to hack the kde-cvs eclass to use unsermake, it didn't
15 > work too badly, the only problem was that every time you built a kde-cvs
16 > based package the unsermake dir would be re-fetched.
17 >
18 > I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to create a standalone unsermake
19 > ebuild, however unsermake was a little unreliable last time I tried it.
20
21 It can be used on non-KDE packages, right?
24 Andrew Gaffney
25 Network Administrator
26 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
27 636-357-1548