From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ${PORTDIR}/profiles/package.use
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 02:06:54
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Thursday 20 October 2005 05:47 pm, Petteri Räty wrote:
3 >
4 >>Every once in a while I see people wanting to use nosomething use flags.
5 >>Why don't we have a package.use like we already have a package.mask
6 >>file? This would make it possible for developers to turn on use flags by
7 >>default in a way that would not cruft the base profiles for every local
8 >>use flag.
11 > i still dont see how this addresses the nocxx / USE=-*
12 > -mike
15 noFOO is used because "FOO" is on by default, and noFOO turns it off.
16 AutoUSE is the same way, package bar is included in the buildplan and to
17 have sane defaults, certain flags are turned on.
18
19 a profilish package.use would enable maintainers to turn on sane default
20 flags while eliminiating noFOO flags and AUTOUSE. The problem with
21 make.defaults right now is you can't set a global flag on just a few
22 packages. On global flags it's an all or nothing deal. There are some
23 packages where a global flag is the default for that package, but not on
24 others.
25
26 The problem with package.use is you can implement it now, but you can't
27 take out use.defaults or noFOO flags because if a user doesn't have a
28 portage that handles package.use buildplans will fail.
29
30 The tree would need to maintain the AUTOUSE and noFOO flags for old
31 versions of portage.
32
33 -Alec Warner (Antarus)
34 --