From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: install linux-firmware with kernel sources (was Re: Lastrite: Firmware cleanup, part #1)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:51:44
1 Christopher Head posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:38:14 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 20:43:02 +0100 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
7 >> wrote:
8 >> >> +1 from me; I've had a few machines break on kernel upgrades because
9 >> >> I didn't have the proper firmware installed (I guess older kernel
10 >> >> sources came with the firmware?).
11
12 >> > For starters, if kernel sources provide /lib/firmware, how do you
13 >> > deal with file collisions?
14 >
15 > Please don't make kernel sources RDEPEND on firmware. The kernel DOES
16 > NOT depend on firmware to work properly. Well over half my machines
17 > prove that: they work perfectly fine (read: 100% of their hardware
18 > works) with no firmware at all installed.
19
20 Not a problem as long as the RDEPEND is under USE=firmware or similar.
21 No USE=firmware, no rdepend! =:^)
22
23 Kernel sources providing /lib/firmware itself shouldn't be a problem
24 either, as that's just a dir, which many packages may own. The
25 individual firmware files would be a problem, but the USE=firmware RDEPEND
26 solution should solve that.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman