From: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: RFC: install linux-firmware with kernel sources (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: Firmware cleanup, part #1)
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 19:38:25
1 On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 20:43:02 +0100
2 Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > >> +1 from me; I've had a few machines break on kernel upgrades
7 > >> because I didn't have the proper firmware installed (I guess older
8 > >> kernel sources came with the firmware?).
9 > >
10 > > This is another problem, namely dependency level problem.
11 > > I don't see how having kernel sources ebuilds
12 > > providing /lib/firmware would fix any of the listed issues without
13 > > causing other "side effects".
14 > > For starters, if kernel sources provide /lib/firmware, how do you
15 > > deal with file collisions?
16
17 Sorry this is not threaded properly; I accidentally deleted the e-mail
18 I intended to reply to.
19
20 Please don't make kernel sources RDEPEND on firmware. The kernel DOES
21 NOT depend on firmware to work properly. Well over half my machines
22 prove that: they work perfectly fine (read: 100% of their hardware
23 works) with no firmware at all installed. Don't force me to install a
24 package that provides me with a grand total of zero benefit, just so
25 you can hand-hold people.
26
27 It's unfortunate that people were caught by the firmware being removed
28 from the kernel and breaking their hardware. This sounds like an
29 application for a news message telling people to install firmware if
30 needed, but IMO it doesn't call for a dependency.
31
32 Chris