From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: RFC: install linux-firmware with kernel sources (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: Firmware cleanup, part #1)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 19:43:43
1 On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o> wrote:
2 >> +1 from me; I've had a few machines break on kernel upgrades because I
3 >> didn't have the proper firmware installed (I guess older kernel
4 >> sources came with the firmware?).
5 >
6 > This is another problem, namely dependency level problem.
7 > I don't see how having kernel sources ebuilds providing /lib/firmware
8 > would fix any of the listed issues without causing other "side
9 > effects".
10 > For starters, if kernel sources provide /lib/firmware, how do you deal
11 > with file collisions?
12
13 I'm sorry, I have no clue about any of this; I was just signalling
14 that I've run into problems twice now, where I:
15
16 - had an old kernel working fine
17 - upgraded it using the usual mechanism
18 - then the network wouldn't come up on rebooting (bnx2 or tg3, not sure)
19 - with an obscure error message that was really quite hard to connect
20 to missing firmware, and
21 - it turned out to work fine after installing linux-firmware.
22
23 So it would be great to prevent other users from running into these
24 kinds of trouble.
25
26 Cheers,
27