From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: RFC: install linux-firmware with kernel sources (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: Firmware cleanup, part #1)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 16:55:01
1 On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I agree as I have also needed to google and search in forums to get
4 >> proper firmware installed in the past in some machines :/
5 >
6 > +1 from me; I've had a few machines break on kernel upgrades because I
7 > didn't have the proper firmware installed (I guess older kernel
8 > sources came with the firmware?).
9
10 This is another problem, namely dependency level problem.
11 I don't see how having kernel sources ebuilds providing /lib/firmware
12 would fix any of the listed issues without causing other "side
13 effects".
14 For starters, if kernel sources provide /lib/firmware, how do you deal
15 with file collisions?
18 > Cheers,
19 >
20 > Dirkjan