From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 1 (Was: Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:35:32
1 On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:02:00 -0400
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Friday 13 April 2007, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > These fail:
5 > >
6 > > cp somefile dirdoesnotexist/
7 > > mv somefile dirdoesnotexist/
8 > > ln -s somefile dirdoesnotexist/
9 > > dohard somefile dirdoesnotexist/
10 > > mkdir dirdoesnotexist/newdir
11 > >
12 > > This succeeds:
13 > >
14 > > dosym somefile dirdoesnotexist/
15 >
16 > any other obvious statements you care to make ?
17 >
18 > compare your standard handwritten Makefile install: target to
19 > src_install() in an ebuild ... i'll take the much shorter
20 > src_install() any day
21
22 Except that we already know that it doesn't make a substantial
23 difference to the lengths of src_installs in the tree. Very few
24 packages are relying upon the automatic directory creation.
25
26 > > The arch teams have been pushing for this for a long time. They're
27 > > trying to get this enforced, but are having limited success because
28 > > there's no way for FEATURES=test to become widely used that won't
29 > > lead to broken user systems. Moving src_test to be always on in
30 > > future EAPIs is an easy way of helping arch teams achieve this goal
31 > > without breaking anyone's system in the meantime.
32 >
33 > if you have a problem with the QA team then complain to your buddy spb
34
35 Er, no, I'm explaining why enforcing src_test for EAPI 1 will be
36 helpful for an awful lot of Gentoo developers.
37
38 Please refrain from that kind of comment. It doesn't help anyone.
41 Ciaran McCreesh