From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: betelgeuse@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Announcement of The G Palmtop Environment ebuilds
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 00:37:46
1 On Qua, 2009-02-04 at 18:36 +0200, Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > Angelo Arrifano wrote:
3 > >
4 > > # Copyright 2008 Gentoo Foundation
5 > > # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
6 > > # $Header: $
7 > > #
8 > > # Authors:
9 > > # Rene Wagner <rw@×××××××××.org>
10 > > # Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
11 > > # Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
14 > Should use eclass-manpages syntax.
15
16 Thanks, fixed on next revision
19 > > # GPE ECLASS
20 > > #GPECONF="" # extra configure opts passed to econf
21 > > ELTCONF="" # extra options passed to elibtoolize
22 > > DOCS="" # documentation files to be installed with dodoc
25 > If other eclass that comes before in the inherit hierarchy and sets
26 > DOCS, do we want to override it?
27
28 Yes, we want. If we will make dodoc die by default like you proposed
29 below, DOCS must be explicitly set by each ebuild sourcing any common
30 DOC provided by the eclass.
31 >
32 > > [ -z "${GPE_MIRROR}" ] && export GPE_MIRROR="http://gpe.linuxtogo.org/download/source"
33 > >
34 > > [ -z "${GPE_TARBALL_SUFFIX}" ] && export GPE_TARBALL_SUFFIX="gz"
37 > Is there a binary called that makes use of those two?
38 Yes, some packages uses bz2 but most of them gz. Ebuilds fetching bz2
39 from the default URI will use both.
43 > > IUSE="${IUSE} nls"
46 > This is the first use of IUSE in the eclass so there is nothing to
47 > append to.
48
49 True, fixed on next revision.
52 > > gpe_src_configure() {
53 > > tc-export CC
54 > > if [ -f configure ]; then
55 > > elibtoolize ${ELTCONF}
56 > > econf "$@" ${GPECONF} || die "./configure failure"
57 > > fi
58 > > }
61 > Ebuilds/Eclasses should use [[ instead of [ and econf dies on it's own
62 > any way.
63
64 Fixed on next revision.
67 > > gpe_src_install() {
68 > > USE_NLS=yes
69 > > use nls || USE_NLS=no
72 > I don't see USE_NLS used outside install so it should be local and
73 > written in lower case.
74
75 This is an ancient issue where almost (but not all) packages provides an
76 --enable-nls flag. I'll discuss with solar about the usefulness of this
77 code. Thanks.
80 > > if [ -f configure ]; then
81 > > einstall "$@"
82 > > else
83 >
84 > If you really need to use einstall, it would be best to add a comment
85 > about why it's needed.
86
87 Some packages are not automake driven. We have to detect those.
88 >
89 > > make DESTDIR=${D} PREFIX=/usr \
90 > > STRIP=true ENABLE_NLS=${USE_NLS} \
91 > > "$@" install
92 > > fi
95 > Should use emake. Stripping should be left to the package manager.
96
97 Stripping is problematic when cross-compiling. I'll do some more tests
98 to figure out the best way. Although, we are doing this for a long time
99 now and it works. IMHO, changing things in the last "hour" usually leads
100 to breakage.
101 >
102 > > # manual document installation
103 > > [ -n "${DOCS}" ] && dodoc ${DOCS}
104 > >
105 > > }
108 > dodoc should have || die with it
109 There are some ebuilds that don't provide all the DOCS, I'll try to fix
110 the ebuilds first and then we'll see..
113 > > EXPORT_FUNCTIONS src_compile src_install src_unpack
116 > Never exports configure for EAPI 2.
117
118 Already fixed, thanks to loki_val for his patch.
119 >
120 > Regards,
121 > Petteri
126 Thank you,