From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 23:19:40
1 On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 00:33:00 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2019-07-20 at 18:16 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 4:22 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > Yes, I get it. User experience is not important if it would mean
6 > > > developers would actually do anything but the bare minimum to get
7 > > > from one paycheck to another. The usual Gentoo attitude.
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > Not sure where I go to sign up for those paychecks. However, even
11 > > employers have to accept that policies have a resource cost to them.
12 > >
13 > > Requiring people to do more than the bare minimum often just ensures
14 > > that they won't even bother to do the bare minimum. I'm all for
15 > > finding ways to standardize things so that everybody benefits at a
16 > > very low cost. This doesn't seem that, and honestly requiring
17 > > packages to bundle pre-built manpages seems a bit non-Gentooish to
18 > > begin with.
21 > Then you should go and strip all those pregenerated autotools files,
22 > and require eautoreconf from every single package.
23
24 This might be a good idea, actually. Version mismatch between
25 shipped pregenerated files and system autotools occasionally causes
26 some problems.
27
28 Best regards,
29 Andrew Savchenko