From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: qa <qa@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 22:33:11
1 On Sat, 2019-07-20 at 18:16 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 4:22 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Yes, I get it. User experience is not important if it would mean
5 > > developers would actually do anything but the bare minimum to get
6 > > from one paycheck to another. The usual Gentoo attitude.
9 > Not sure where I go to sign up for those paychecks. However, even
10 > employers have to accept that policies have a resource cost to them.
11 >
12 > Requiring people to do more than the bare minimum often just ensures
13 > that they won't even bother to do the bare minimum. I'm all for
14 > finding ways to standardize things so that everybody benefits at a
15 > very low cost. This doesn't seem that, and honestly requiring
16 > packages to bundle pre-built manpages seems a bit non-Gentooish to
17 > begin with.
20 Then you should go and strip all those pregenerated autotools files,
21 and require eautoreconf from every single package.
24 Best regards,
25 Michał Górny