From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: qa <qa@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 22:16:41
1 On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 4:22 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > Yes, I get it. User experience is not important if it would mean
5 > developers would actually do anything but the bare minimum to get
6 > from one paycheck to another. The usual Gentoo attitude.
9 Not sure where I go to sign up for those paychecks. However, even
10 employers have to accept that policies have a resource cost to them.
11
12 Requiring people to do more than the bare minimum often just ensures
13 that they won't even bother to do the bare minimum. I'm all for
14 finding ways to standardize things so that everybody benefits at a
15 very low cost. This doesn't seem that, and honestly requiring
16 packages to bundle pre-built manpages seems a bit non-Gentooish to
17 begin with.
20 Rich