From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 01:08:57
1 On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 06:16:24PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 4:22 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Yes, I get it. User experience is not important if it would mean
6 > > developers would actually do anything but the bare minimum to get
7 > > from one paycheck to another. The usual Gentoo attitude.
10 > Not sure where I go to sign up for those paychecks. However, even
11 > employers have to accept that policies have a resource cost to them.
12 >
13 > Requiring people to do more than the bare minimum often just ensures
14 > that they won't even bother to do the bare minimum. I'm all for
15
16 I do like that. I will send you the royalties for quoting you.
17
18 > finding ways to standardize things so that everybody benefits at a
19 > very low cost. This doesn't seem that, and honestly requiring
20 > packages to bundle pre-built manpages seems a bit non-Gentooish to
21 > begin with.
22 >
23 > --
24 > Rich
27 Regarding pre-built manpages, I think you have missed Michal's (yea, I don't
28 fancy letters on my keyboard) point here. He is looking at a compromise of:
29
30 1. I want some documentation
31 2. It doesn't ship from upstream (without crazy extra deps)
32 3. Gentoo guy hooked me up and packaged it pre-built with it
33 4. Thanks!
36 Cheers,
37 Aaron