From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 02:00:44
1 On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 21:08:51 -0400
2 Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > 1. I want some documentation
5 > 2. It doesn't ship from upstream (without crazy extra deps)
6 > 3. Gentoo guy hooked me up and packaged it pre-built with it
7 > 4. Thanks!
8
9 The proposal as-stated is:
10
11 1. Documentation requires even 1 additional dep
12 2. Thou may not use a USE flag for this
13 3. Thus, if you want to elide the dependency from *any* merge graph,
14 you must elide it from *all* merge graphs.
15 4. Thus, you must locally perform some non-standard hackery that will
16 be different for every package to produce these, work out where to put
17 it which is also not standardised, and also prohibit the user from
18 being able to update these themselves via a revision bump, _AND_ you
19 will need to put in place non-standard mechanisms to ensure it gets
20 updated when you update the package, in order for the documentation
21 not to diverge from the sources.
22
23 There's a lot of "Ummmm, thats bad" in point 4.
24
25 Hence, counter-proposals are trying to look at a way to achieve points
26 2 & 3 in your list, without resorting to barbaric torture and inherent
27 fragility.
28
29 We understand the /achieve, but the mechanism proposed doesn't suit, as
30 stated.