From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 09:00:59
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm with Rich on this one.  I trust that like me most of the developers
4 here earn pay checks from elsewhere and that our time here is either
5 completely volunteer work, or towards a purpose that suits that of our
6 employers.
7
8 Unless there is a way to automate the building of the associated man
9 pages on a build server in some way.  This might be possible come to
10 think of it.
11
12 USE flag to enable/disable bundled packages.  Any packages that gets
13 committed with this USE flag goes off to a build server that builds the
14 package and prepares an install (without bundled) and then the man pages
15 can be scraped from the prepared install I reckon and placed on a
16 standard URL, say d.g.o/manpages/${CATEGORY}/${PVR}.tar.gz  ... possibly
17 an eclass may be required I don't know, haven't thought about it that much.
18
19 I am in support of the idea that for any given command there should be a
20 "sensible" man page (it could be as simple as pointing to online
21 documentation), but don't see this as a show stopper.
22
23 I'll support this proposal if, and only if, there is a way to automate
24 the building and distribution of "bundled" man pages as proposed.
25
26 Kind Regards,
27 Jaco
28