From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 12:36:13
1 On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 11:00:42 +0200
2 Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za> wrote:
3
4 > USE flag to enable/disable bundled packages.  Any packages that gets
5 > committed with this USE flag goes off to a build server that builds the
6 > package and prepares an install (without bundled) and then the man pages
7 > can be scraped from the prepared install I reckon and placed on a
8 > standard URL, say d.g.o/manpages/${CATEGORY}/${PVR}.tar.gz  ... possibly
9 > an eclass may be required I don't know, haven't thought about it that much.
10
11 In general, I really do like these suggestions for a dedicated USE flag
12 for use on gentoo automated build servers.
13
14 I think in general, this idea could even be extended to achieve more
15 than just pure MAN page generation, just implementation could be a bit
16 spicy, maybe even need future EAPI changes.
17
18 If the end result is a collection of asset tarballs of some kind that
19 contain various aspects of the same package, where the ebuild itself
20 dictates how the ebuild should be built on the build server, then it
21 enables us to approximate debian-esque deployment models where
22 "maintainer decides what aspects you get", but without the need to
23 strip end-users of essential utility.
24
25 Though I suspect *literally* using USE flags for this as-is might be
26 the wrong approach, as that just causes user-side pollution :/
27
28 Perhaps there's an Out-Of-Band strategy that can be employed, maybe
29 even using files not currently under PMS control.
30
31 IDK. I do get the impression we're "on the right track" with this, just
32 I don't like the proposals as-stated completely.