From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Sunrise Project -- Sunrise FAQ
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 21:08:19
1 On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 14:46 -0500, James Potts wrote:
2 > On 6/9/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 19:10 +0200, Stefan Schweizer wrote:
4 > > > Markus Ullmann wrote:
5 > > > > Maybe that way we avoid any misunderstandings, nearly doubled posts and
6 > > > > repeating ourselves over and over again.
7 > > >
8 > > > The problem is that some questions and answers easily get lost in a mailing
9 > > > list. To solve this shortcoming, I am starting to make a FAQ page in the
10 > > > trac wiki:
11 > > > http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/sunrise/wiki/SunriseFaq
12 > > >
13 > > > We are adding new questions there, if you have some additions, please talk
14 > > > to me and I will add them for you.
15 > >
16 > > I have one...
17 > >
18 > > What will it take for this project to go away?
19 > >
20 > I have a counter-question to this: What modifications to the sunrise
21 > (not sunrice, btw) project would have to be made to get you to stop
22 > actively trying to shut it down? I really don't care if you think the
23 > team will be willing to make the changes, list them anyway, please. :)
24
25 It needs to not be a Gentoo project and not hosted on Gentoo
26 infrastructure, with absolutely no support from Gentoo.
27
28 I have absolutely no problem with overlays that are for a specific
29 target. I would have no problems with either of the sunrise
30 "maintainers" starting their own overlays in projects they manage. I
31 just can't imagine a dumping ground such as this being a good idea,
32 ever. It would require an enormous amount of manpower. How exactly can
33 2 people possibly cover the manpower needed for this when the *entire
34 developer pool* cannot handle it now in bugzilla?
35
36 > I'm asking because I think that this project is a Good Thing, if it
37 > gets handled correctly. I also agree that if it is not handled
38 > correctly it can and will be a Very Bad Thing.
39
40 Unfortunately, I don't have much faith in this possibly being handled
41 correctly. There simply isn't the manpower to do it properly *and*
42 officially.
45 Chris Gianelloni
46 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
47 x86 Architecture Team