From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Projects and simple guides
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:02:09
1 Brian Harring posted <20060109172915.GD26825@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:29:15 -0800:
3
4 > Where exactly did I ask for universal r/w? I've seen a lot of args
5 > against this based upon "joe idiot will screw up the page". What I'm
6 > after is non gentoo personnel capable of handling the docs- does that
7 > mean everyone? No. It means people not minting people just so we can
8 > have them do a bit of doc work, essentially, nuking the overhead.
9
10 Simply screwing the page may happen, but it's not the worst problem these
11 days. Link-spamming gets that dubious honor, I believe. If it's visible
12 to Google, and it's possible to subvert access control to get access,
13 you're simply /begging/ for uncontrollable link spamming.
14
15 However "non-gentoo personnel" is to be interpreted, this IMO has to be
16 considered, as it has certainly ruined many other projects, and forced
17 capcha implementation on others. Of course, I'm sure infra is already on
18 it, but if we fail to account for it in discussing the idea, the solution
19 chosen might not be the best one possible.
20
21 BTW, if I'm not mistaken, it's exactly this sort of "half-dev" issue that
22 the AT position was to be a solution to. The issues are much the same,
23 and to a large degree have already been hashed out or failing that, at
24 least discussed. Perhaps the amd64 folks and/or hparker could comment.
25
26 +1 on the RST idea as well, for what a user vote may be worth. Ciaran has
27 made excellent use of it with his GLEP work. For what my opinion's worth,
28 there's no other person who could steer a complicated and therefore
29 implementation controversial GLEP such as that thru the process better
30 than he. In all aspects he has done a better job than I would have
31 thought possible, literally, had I not seen him doing it.
36 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
37 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list