From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and simple guides
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:34:28
1 Sending this to the ml, tom already has heard the reasons but throwing
2 them out for others to comment on...
3
4 On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 04:47:57PM +0000, Tom Martin wrote:
5 > > I realize this doesn't address the *rest* of what you said, though...
6
7 <snip>
8
9 > These little 'howtos' are potentially very short, and guideXML would be
10 > overkill. RST is absolutely perfect for this kind of thing: quick and
11 > easy to write, powerful, and legible in raw form. It's also easily
12 > converted to any number of other formats.
13 Agreed.
14
15 > A new CVS repository containing these little howtos that is accessible
16 > with viewcvs would be perfect, if you ask me. There would be proper
17 > version control on the files and they would be read/write for
18 > developers and read-only for users (otherwise the potential of
19 > vandalism etc. is too high). This is, in my opinion, how things should
20 > be for these simple developer guides.
21 disagree. :)
22
23 Note my comments about allowing non gentoo personnel to modify the
24 docs. I'm not minting half devs just so they can do some doc work,
25 nor is it efficient for trusted devs to be passing patches through me
26 just because they haven't yet been around long enough where we mint
27 'em.
30 > The whole wiki-for-everything idea really annoys me. It forces
31 > a web browser on me, and this is particularly naff when it comes to
32 > editing. It's also really bland and boring, and completely unoriginal.
33
34 Note that what's being pushed here is the desire for a faster model of
35 doc developing;
36
37 GDP/guidexml docs are good for long term stable docs.
38
39 They suck royally however, if we're talking about developmental docs
40 for portage where things move quickly. Less work required to maintain
41 the documentation, higher chance the docs will actually be up to
42 date/maintained. Note that's my opinion, I don't dislike guidexml, I
43 just prefer to not dink around with it for docs that are going to be
44 rapidly changing.
47 > I still haven't fixed the other two points Brian mentioned, but I don't
48 > really think they're all that serious. If a user sees an omission, he
49 > can drop a mail to the guy who wrote the guide. There's really no
50 > reason to file bugs for anything like this.
51
52 We're not talking about a guide here- two scenarios.
53
54 flameeyes rapid development of docs, improving the quality- area to
55 hash out the doc before slapping it up in official docs (and no,
56 labelling it unofficial doesn't fly when we're talking about
57 initial hammering out of the doc).
58
59 Essentially, a chalkboard/whiteboard for projects- communal scratchpad
60 of what the current issues are (and I mean *current*, that day),
61 proposals for apis, use scenarios, rough design documents.
62
63 We could (and do) do this via devspace, but that suffers the exact
64 issue I'm after addressing- not everyone involved can modify it (for
65 devspace, only one person can modify it).
66
67 > Allowing universal r/w is
68 > asking for vandalism. As for the third point -- concurrency -- this is
69 > exactly what any VCS is supposed to fix. We live with it with the
70 > tree's CVS, I'm sure we can live with it for this.
71
72 Where exactly did I ask for universal r/w? I've seen a lot of args
73 against this based upon "joe idiot will screw up the page". What I'm
74 after is non gentoo personnel capable of handling the docs- does that
75 mean everyone? No. It means people not minting people just so we can
76 have them do a bit of doc work, essentially, nuking the overhead.
77
78 Again, vcs is worthless if you don't have access to it. Non gentoo
79 folks do not have access to the vcs, thus we're right back to my point
80 for why a wiki is useful- we don't have to mint a couple dozen part
81 time contributors as devs just so they can do their work.
82
83 Proposals/alternatives thus far are basically reinventing wiki's, just
84 slower. That's kind of a sign that people dislike wiki software
85 they've seen- I've yet to see anyone level arguement against the model
86 of doc development I'm after however.
87
88 So... if the core need isn't an issue, wth should we reinvent the
89 wheel and create our own wiki analog?
90
91 ~harring